Monday, February 18, 2013

Chapter 4

"On the Rainy River"



Quote 1:
"Even now, I'll admit, the story makes me squirm. For more than twenty years I've had to live with it, feeling the shame, trying to push it away [...]." (page 39)


Analysis:
In this chapter Tim O'Brien starts by admitting that his reputation is still go great importance to him. The story of how he ended up in the war is disgraceful for him and it has been a burden for the past twenty years. He still regrets going to the because for the sake of protecting his reputation.

Quote 2:
"I tried to will myself overboard.
I gripped the edge of the boat and leaned forward and thought, Now.
I did try. It just wasn't possible." (page 59)


Analysis:
In this quote we can see the culmination of the authors decision to run away from the war and flee to Canada so no one would find him. A amiable man takes O'Brien onto the Canadian Border, but something keeps him from jumping out of the boat and swimming towards the bank. He imagines the FBI behind his parents dissatisfaction. He thinks he has no other option but to surrender to humiliation.This is why O'Brien ends up going to the war, and its at this point in the book where a moment of cowardice on the authors behalf is shown.


Quote 3: 
"The day was cloudy. I passed through towns with familiar names, through the pine forests and down to the prairie, and then to Vietnam, where I was a soldier, and then home again. I survived, but it's not a happy ending. I was a coward. I went to the war." (page 61)


Analysis:
In this quote it can be seen how the author is nostalgic about his past and looks back on he could have done differently. When he writes "[...] I was a coward. I went to the war." he snuck away from something more black-harted than going to the war back at home.



1 comment:

  1. Is there a difference between the hard copy and e-book? Because the e-book I have does not line up with your quotes and their pages numbers. I.e. " I was a soldier, and then home again. I survived, but it’s not a happy ending. I was a coward. I went to the war." is on page 81, not 61.

    ReplyDelete